Albuquerque, May 12 — In anticipation of Title 42’s expiration at midnight Friday, House Republicans voted on and successfully passed their border security bill, H.R.2, The Secure the Border Act, on a 219-213 vote.
All three New Mexico Representatives, Rep. Melanie Stansbury (D-NM 01), Rep. Teresa Leger Fernandez (D-NM 03), and Rep. Gabe Vasquez (D-NM 02), voted against the border security bill.
Republican Party of New Mexico Chairman and former Congressman Steve Pearce issued the following statement:
“By voting against the Secure the Border Act, H.R. 2, all three Democratic representatives confirmed they have no intention of ending this border crisis despite their numerous campaign promises. These representatives missed a great opportunity to come together and show they stand with our New Mexican border communities, which are strained for resources in dealing with this crisis.
All three representatives chose to score political points instead of stopping the deadly flow of fentanyl into our state by cutting off cartels, protecting unaccompanied children from human traffickers, and ending the tragic humanitarian crisis that began on day one of Biden’s Presidency.
H.R. 2 will restore order to this crisis, and New Mexicans will have peace knowing their border is finally secured and protected.
Republicans have always strived to keep America’s borders safe, uphold our laws, and support border patrol and legal immigration. Sadly, that has not been the case with this Democratic administration.”
Since Biden took office:
- 1.3 million illegal immigrants or “gotaways” have escaped into the U.S., though border officials believe that the official number is underreported.
- Due to a lack of resources to handle the unprecedented surge at the border, Biden lost track of at least 150,000 illegal immigrants who could not be tracked because they were not processed.
- Bidens open border reputation has led to a record-setting 10,000 illegal immigrants attempting to cross the border daily.
- Shelters along the border are at capacity.
- Fentanyl is flowing into our county at catastrophic rates. 645 million lethal doses of fentanyl were seized at the southern border in March alone. Federal officials have said that only 5% to 10% of illegal drugs are apprehended before they flow into our country.
Joe Biden admitted there would be “chaos” after the end of Title 42, but unfortunately, it seems like he and New Mexico’s Democratic representatives want to keep it that way.