Albuquerque, NM – After announcing Tuesday that press would not be allowed on Sandia Casino Property during the Republican Party of New Mexico’s 2016 Quadrennial Convention, Sandia Pueblo reversed that policy Wednesday following a meeting of the Tribal Council. Press will be welcomed at the 2016 Quadrennial Convention at Sandia Resort & Casino.
The announcement Tuesday came as a surprise to Republican Party officials, who had not been made aware of the Sandia Pueblo’s policy beforehand. Sandia Casino had previously asked for a list of press that would be attending before informing RPNM that no press would be allowed. RPNM Communications Director Tucker Keene quickly reached out to Sandia Pueblo Governor Isaac Lujan’s office to ask for an explanation and protest the last-minute change in policy. Governor Lujan said allowing press was against council policy, but that he would raise the issue in the Tribal Council meeting Wednesday morning.
“We are glad that Sandia Pueblo has reconsidered their policy and allowed the press to attend and cover our convention,” said Keene. “We had not been made aware of this no-press policy when we signed our contract with Sandia Casino back in October, and would not have hosted our convention there had we known otherwise. We have been excited to host our Convention this Saturday at Sandia and welcome the press to see our well-managed Convention process.”